Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Coexistence

"Coexistence... what the farmer (or residents of Weber Oaks) does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving." - Mike Connolly

Here's a few photos of our neighborhood's newest residents. We had no idea that turkeys were so friendly. The first time we saw them, the girls and I went outside to grab a few looks and photos. As soon as the turkeys saw us they decided to run across the street for a visit...
...there was no fear there, they came right up to us...
...needless to say, we didn't hang around outside very long.
I think they would have come right into the house if we let them. One even came up to the window gobbling (I could almost hear it say to the girls, "want to come outside & play?"), and staring back at us as we stared at it...

These poor turkeys must have escaped from a turkey farm in the area where they were loved and showered with attention. Its not yet annoying but actually kind of funny to see them scurry from house to house gobbling all of the way looking for human companionship. You just never know when you are going to step outside and be greeted by a flock of turkey friends.

Lets hope they find a new home before spring sets in...

4 comments:

Tessa Buys said...

That's too funny! A few years ago we lived by a creek that was home to a whole bunch of wild turkeys. One morning, after just moving in, I heard noises outside my second-floor bedroom window. The scraping, gobbling noises scared me! After jumping out of bed and then regaining my composure, I opened my curtains to see a turkey standing on my roof and peering in :).

Laura Evangeline said...

Haha! Too funny! If they're anything like the geese around here they're beggin' for food constantly. I love your blog!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! Great pictures!!

Kim

PawwPadd said...

Hi Windy, I agree with Tessa, This is too funny! I'm an animal advocate and I'm always trying to rescue something! LOL! Just wondering if you've called your local animal shelter or animal aid society about them. I'd hate for any of them to get hit by a car or be attacked by a stray animal etc. I like the fact that you shared this with us though! I really enjoyed seeing them and I think it's really cool that your children were able to see them up close and personal like that. What did they think about them? Thanks for sharing! By the way, I have an award for you over on my blog. I know you don't hear from me often like some others, but I do visit and follow you. My illness some days keeps me down...Take care, I really do enjoy your work and your blog!
Bethann aka PawwPadd